The Railway is created by the 1872 Railway Act and was opened on August 12th 1878.The Railway was known as the Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway (WD&LR) it was the last bit of the Line to be Constructed linking Mallow in Cork which had being built earlier. Sucess followed by the passing of the Waterford, Dungarvan and Lismore Railway Act of 1872. Construction was shared by Smith & Finnlayson who built as far as Dungarvan and J.W. Stanford thence to Lismore, There is three major Viaducts on the Line and One Tunnel in the Kilmacthomas Area. The Viaducts are at Kilmacthomas, Durrow and Ballyvoile and the Tunnel at Durrow is between the Durrow the and Ballyvoille Railway Viaducts, the WD&LR was absorbed into the Great Southren and Westren Railway in 1898 and the GS&WR took over the running off the Lineand was merged into the F&RR&H Company with the GS&WR taking over the running on November 1st 1898. The first through service between Waterford and Cork started in May 1899, connecting with the Morning service of the GWR Steamer from New Milford and an Evening Departure. This was replaced in 1906 by a New Express Service on August 30th 1906, connecting the large Port of Rosslare with Cork and continued until total closure of the line on March 27th 1967, when the Boat Trains were diverted to run between Limerick Junction.The Major interruptions were due to wartime events, when steamers were suspended and the Ballyvoile Viaduct was destroyed on August 8th 1922 and the line was fully reopened on July 1st 1924. After Closure in 1967 a new source of traffic presented itself when an American Company began mineral processing at Ballinacourty, east of Dungarvan, CIE laying down a one and a half miles branch. Trains commenced during 1970, the closed line been renovated. Dolomite came from Bennett's Bridge on the Kilkenny line and Oil from Cork, the products being taken to another Factory at Tivoli near Cork. All Production ceased after 12 years and line closed and it was lifted later.